Advanced Techniques - DEFENSE
  • In this thread we will be discussing the defensive part of the game, or the "flying" part of the game.
  • Some strategies that I've used which work well for me:

*********************************************************************************************************
    USE SUPER TO HARVEST AT THE END OF THE TURN
    *********************************************************************************************************

This strategy requires a high or fully leveled Harvest skill and is usually only useful in the late game.

This is similar to the Harvest/Blast cycle that was nerfed at the most recent patch, but the order is reversed.

Because harvested bullets don't contribute to your Super bar as much any more, it places a stronger emphasis on collecting enemy bullets if you want to fill your Super bar.

If time during the turn is spent harvesting enemy bullets instead of just disabling them in bubbles, you will often be left with a full Super bar at the end of your turn.

Using your Super will extend the turn for the duration of your Super effect, which also greatly increases the Harvest rate.

As an added bonus, you are now able to Harvest all your turrets without worrying about incoming bullets.

It's not very effective at earlier levels, since Harvest seems to be much faster maxed out. Even as an early-game gambit to build points quickly, it didn't seem effective.

Late-game there are more turrets to harvest and your skill will be maxed, so it works best at that point. Some of the maps with closely spaced turrets even allow you to harvest two turrets at once!

I haven't done any official playtesting, but in matches this strategy has been very helpful in getting me tons of points to fund the more expensive strategies like Guardian waves, aggressive Splitter walls or Puffer accelerators.

DISPOSABLE SPLITTERS

This strategy requires you choose the Automatic Salvage Splitter perk, and can be expensive.

One of the Splitter perks is that it will sell itself automatically upon destruction. This means that, for an upfront cost of 100 points you gain a Splitter, and when it's destroyed you gain half its cost, putting it down to a measly 50 points.

Splitters used defensively are just meat shields, but for something like 50 points they are three times cheaper than Guardians and have quite a bit more hit points.

The downside is that each Splitter requires double their cost up front, but this is OK because their best use doesn't require a lot of them.

Placing Splitters in front of enemy turrets during the early game prevents the enemy from placing their own units there - it forces them to space out their design and helps eat up enemy bullets.

Splitters to interrupt enemy units are particularly effective in front of Ice bullets, since their damage is much lower and the Splitter lives longer.

Splitters are also useful as side guards against important units like high-level Turrets or delicate Flame converters. They can eat up plenty of bullets before allowing the actual target to take fire.

The game's built-in hit alarms can also tell you when a Splitter is damaged or destroyed, which makes it easy to respond when one is downed.

While the Splitter makes a good meat shield, it also has the downside of directing your bullets during the Attack phase. Sometimes putting a Splitter in front of an enemy turret can also shield them from direct bullet fire.

USE BLAST TO DISABLE CRITICAL ENEMY UNITS

This strategy requires at least some points in the Blast skill and is only useful mid- to late-game.

I've read discussions of Blast in here before, and I feel like the use of Blast against enemy turrets is counterproductive. Why would you spend your precious Super time to make an enemy stop shooting money at you?

The Blast has been reduced in power to make it more difficult for turrets to be disabled, so this only emphasizes their more effective use: breaking key points in an enemy's bullet structure.

For example, disabling Flame converters or Seekers can completely disable an enemy's intended bullet path, while still sending bullets (AKA money) downstream at you.

When choosing units to disable, usually I plan my defense strategy ahead of time. Disabling Flame converters allows more bullets to be soaked up by Bubbles, and disabling Seekers will often leave bullets floating harmlessly down instead of toward their intended Puffler or Squiggler.

When the enemy's bullet pattern has been simplified in this way, it's very easy to spend all turn harvesting your own turrets, popping back up to collect Bubbles every so often. Unless you're careless and allow bubbles to pop, you can usually collect 90-100% of enemy fired bullets.

USE BLAST TO GIVE YOURSELF BUILDING ROOM

This strategy usually requires a fully-leveled Blast skill and is only useful in the late game.

In the very late game, space on the map becomes precious. Often the game can be won over two or three contested turret placements. For this reason, being able to 'steal' turret locations from the enemy is absolutely critical.

Very often enemies will direct their bullets at a turret of mine with overwhelming force, hoping to destroy it in their Attack phase. This is a bad approach.

What comes after their Attack phase? My Build phase. I can easily build a new turret at full hit points on the exact same location, so this strategy is only useful against high-level turrets or as a war of attrition.

Instead, when I want to take a turret location, I will try to distract the enemy with lots of bullets everywhere and SERIOUSLY WOUND BUT DO NOT DESTROY their turret.

Then their Attack phase begins, and I can use my Super to destroy the weakened turret.

After their Attack phase is my Build phase, and I can immediately place a turret on the available space.

This strategy is extremely powerful because it forces the enemy to be constantly watching their turrets for signs of damage. Most of the action also happens out of the enemy's control, during my Defense and Build phases.

If you want to steal a turret that's too well-guarded to hit with bullets, several turns spending your Super on blasting it can destroy the turret, but the enemy is sure to notice this and take steps against it.

Since there are so few ways to regain hit points, this strategy is difficult to counter. Using Guardians with the Healing Wave perk can restore hit points to damaged units, but this is very expensive, location-dependent (the Guardian must be close to the damaged turret to be effective) and the Guardian must be destroyed in order to trigger the healing.

The only other way to restore hit points for units is to sell them and rebuild. This costs 50% of the unit's original cost (200 points, for a turret) but also removes all the turret's gained levels.

If your enemy has several high-level turrets, their increased bullet speed can make life very difficult for you. Using this strategy will force them to make expensive repairs that remove their turret levels in the repairing process.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!